Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Do The Math

Did you ever have one of those ideas that gets under your skin, tugs away like a chigger, and won't let you be?

Nah, me neither.





No, wait, I was only jokin'


Anyway, it occurred to me over the weekend that Glenn Geffner is not very good and it was suggested by a correspondent that he had tried out for the job and the "radio people", which by that I guess they mean Jason Wolfe, thought he was not very good.

So, I went back to the original press release issued about Geffner and O'Brien. It says"Geffner has spent nine of the past 16 years broadcasting more than 650 games of baseball play-by-play at the major league, minor league, and college levels."

Heck,that's only 70 games a year at all levels. I think O'Brien calls more than that in a month.

And from some guy in Rochester N.Y. who reported on the Hall Of Fame ceremonies in Coorperstown

Ran into Dan Mason and his wife, Sheila, plus former Wings broadcaster (and current Red Sox broadcaster) Glenn Geffner and his wife, and their two sons.

That whole "current Red Sox Broadcaster" thing gets under my skin,too.

And finally, a shout out to RS advertiser Correctdeck, who has a radio spot featuring Dave O'Brien and another voice(not Joe). You'd think that if they couldn't get Joe, they'd get Glenn, Glenn being "a current Red Sox broadcaster".

But no, Correctdeck's Martin Grohman like Dennis Drinkwater before him, has the good sense of avoiding Glenn Geffner and using John Rish.

lc

1 comment:

Steve said...

I've read numerous times here and in other blogs that Dave O'Brien's ESPN duties end after this season. well in going through some archives I found the Scott's Shots live blog posts from the teleconference announcing the Red Sox broadcasting team and I found this interesting tibit:

" O'Brien has four years remaining on his deal with ESPN. "I have a cluase in my contract that stipulates I can work for a team on radio and ESPN was great about that.""


NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!