Monday, July 9, 2007

Something To Consider During The All-Star Break

Joe Castiglione mentioned on Sunday's radio broadcast that he will be taking some time off after the All-Star break, and that Glenn Geffner and David O'Brien will be calling the Toronto series.


oh-boy...

[update] I agree with the notion that this is a dry-run for Your 2008 Red Sox Broadcasting Team. Joe made a point of sort of announcing that he would be away, mentioning O'Brien and Geffner by name. Consistent with the "Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind" approach in the booth, it is unusual for either announcer to mention O'Brien when he is not there, or to mention Geffner [actually, who would mention Geffner?]. O'Brien doesn't talk about games he did for ESPN much, and of course, Jerry Trupiano's name, voice and existence are verboten. Poor old dead Ken Coleman gets more run than Trup.

5 comments:

Steve said...

I really hope Joe isn't contemplating retirement. It's reeally kind of odd to "take time off" in the in the middle of a season unless there's a family related issue. I know a few years back he took time for one of his kids wedding but this just strikes me as odd.

kzfone said...

This might be a mandated vacay to see how the "new" generation of Red Sox announcers do. Just like when Joe and Goof are together, I'll have to listen to the non-Geff innings.

Steve said...

Lou I left a comment on your post at Sox and Dawgs.

tmb said...

Very interesting that Stig is taking a few days off. Wonder if this was his choice or like you said it's a trial run of next year's team. I hope Joe retires on his terms and isn't forced out but I wonder if spending all those games with GiGi in the first half aren't starting to take their toll on the old-school radio guy.

And should Joe decide to hang up the mic, is there any way Henry or Werner can throw some muscle around and start searching now for another PxP man to team up with O'Brien in '08?

Anonymous said...

Changing RedSox announcers = boring. I can't bring myself to listen to the games without Joe... He makes me feel like I'm there... describing every moment. I'll be very sad if he's gone for good.