Thursday, June 26, 2008

Houston. Red Sox. Jerry Trupiano!!

The Boston Red Sox are in Houston this weekend, bringing the schedule of interleague play to a merciful end.

One of our far-flung correspondents pointed me to a blog item concerning Jerry Trupiano making appearances in Houston this weekend with his former broadcast partner there. Jerry is still held in high esteem in Houston, as he is in this space. He recently completed an assignment close to Houston on Westwood One's coverage at the College World Series.

Here's part of the article:



Now, back to Trupiano and Elston, who are two of my all-time favorite broadcasters.

Trupiano, the long-time sports director at KTRH, will be at Bubba's (here's a map) at 5 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and 1 p.m. on Sunday. He was part of the Red Sox broadcast team from 1993 through 2006. He'll stay at Bubba's as long as fans want him to.

Elston will join Trupiano at 5 p.m. on Friday. If Gene feels like returning Saturday or Sunday or both, he will.

I can't tell you how excited I am about these two being together again because they've meant so much to me personally and professionally. I'm sure many of you feel the same way, so come to Bubba's to see them. I know they'll appreciate it.

I grew up in Waco listening to Elston broadcast Astros games. From 1962 through 1986, he played an influential role in my life because I was - and still am - such a huge Astros fan. In my book, there's never been a baseball broadcaster anywhere as good as Elston.

When I came to the Chronicle in 1976 to cover the original Aeros of Gordie, Marty and Mark Howe, Trupiano was the sports director at KTRH and co-host with the late John Breen of what many of us believe to be the best sports talk show in this city's history.

Trupiano was the voice of the Aeros. Later, he was the voice of the Oilers. He also was part of the Astros' broadcast crew with Elston. At one time or another, Trupiano did just about every sport imaginable in Houston.



So, if any of you are in Houston this weekend, stop by Bubba's and say hi to Jerry. Maybe Joe will invite his into the booth (ha, ya right) during one of the games this weekend. It couldn't be worse that the parade of whoring honks that were on with him during Wednesday's game.







Glenn Geffner Company whore

No comments: