Saturday, January 3, 2009

The MLB Network Needs Work

Who exactly decided that starting up a 24 hour baseball network in the dead of winter made sense? How about, say, on February 20th, just before Spring Training starts?

Aside from the obvious problem of having NO CONTENT, the MLB Network, in my sampling, is off to a rocky start. There were widespread reports that it didn't show up on cable systems, and even when it did, it seems buried in the high hundreds, right near Noggin, the Game Show Network, and C-SPAN Ocho.

On my cable box, it's Channel 167. You get the idea.

I've never been a big fan of the (alleged) serial groper Harold Reynolds or the (alleged) TV talent Hazel Mae, and Matt Vagersarian is basically Glenn Geffner with better hair.

Speaking of Geffner, his voice was allowed to appear on some Red Sox season wrap-up for '07 that passed for content on Friday Night. Very unsavory.

Which actually leads me to my point. I tuned in the MLBN on Friday Night, and was please to see the aformentioned Red Sox' 07 package, so I watched. After a couple of promo-heavy spot breaks, the MLBN came back to--

nothing.




The disc was frozen or the tape broke, or the whatever wasn't whatevering. More promos. Back to the content: nothing. More promos, and then the half hour ended with a segment from ANOTHER Red Sox package, not the first one. No explanation.

Nor was there one necessary, since I was undoubtedly the only person in the U.S.A. watching.

You might want to work on the production quality, MLBN

2 comments:

Mr. Saucy said...

Heh. I was also flipping the channels at my sister-in-law's house w/ DirectTV and found MLBN and the Sox 2007 special.

I can only speculate that they want to work out the kinks before spring training. I hope.

Jason said...

Seems a little too soon to be making judgments about the success of the network. How would you like to get a performance review at work after your 3rd day of being on the job?

This will be a great addition to cable for baseball fans, especially those of us who don't care for the way ESPN covers baseball in the offseason - football, football, football, football, football, Yankees, football, football, football, football, football, Red Sox....

You get the idea