Friday, April 25, 2014

Baseball Road Trip Book Worth Reading

The remainder tables of book stores (if they still existed) are tributes to the genre of the baseball road trip. I've read more than my share and have been on a few road trips myself.

Recently, I received (gratis, as I am required by the FTC to state) a new release, entitled "I Don't Care If We Never Get Back", by two precocious Harvard grads, Ben Blatt and Eric Brewster. Blatt is a math guy, or statistics, or algorithms or just obsessive-compulsive. At any rate, he came up with a plan to see a baseball game in all 30 ballparks.
=

In a span of 30 days.

=

By car.


His co-writer, Eric does not like baseball, and it turns out they both thought it sucked by the end of the trip. This is good, because the book is fairly light on baseball stories, and leans heavily on the tedium of inter-personal relationships while driving monster miles in a Toyota RAV4 to get to each ball-park. [spoiler alert] They accomplished their goal, sort of.

In a time-worn genre, it's a new twist, and I recommend the book. The editor should be shot because s/he allowed the authors (co-authors) to change wily-nilly from first to third-person, to another third person, back to another first person, sometimes in the  space of a single paragraph. But, that's the nature of the set-up I guess.

No comments: